Enter our Summer Draw for the chance to win £1,000.
New Year Winter Wander
Saturday 01 Jan 22 - Monday 31 Jan 22 No times Available
Put your best foot forward in 2022 and take part in the Francis House New Year Winter Wander.
We are asking supporters to step up this January for the children and families that rely on our care. For the first month of the New Year, all ages and abilities are encouraged to embark on a walk in support of their local children’s hospice.
Whether you wish to walk in memory of someone special, in solidarity with somebody receiving care, or simply to show your support for your local children’s hospice, the Winter Wander is for you.
We will provide you with four different routes to choose from, or you can opt to walk your own route over a distance that suits you best.
The routes on offer are:
- The Lymm Loop in Cheshire (an 8 mile circuit along the Bridgewater Canal and Transpennine Trail, taking in Dunham Massey on the loop back to Lymm Village)
- The Turton Reservoir Round in Bolton (a 7 mile route beginning at Jumbles Country Park and winding past three different reservoirs, offering two pub stops along the way!)
- The Saddleworth Circuit in Oldham (an 8 mile walk linking four villages and taking in moorland views, reservoirs, a Roman fort and an 18th century coaching house with a record breaking number of gins!)
- *NEW for 2022!* The Higher Poynton Hike (covering the 8 miles from Nelson Pit to Lyme Park and back, offering lovely moorland views, a piece of 9th Century history and a glimpse of Mr Darcy’s grand residence…)
Alternatively, you can walk any distance in any location of your choosing! You could stick to somewhere you know well or explore an entirely new area.
How do I get involved?
To take part in our Winter Wander, please complete the registration form below. There is a fee of £10 per participant and under 16s can join in for FREE!
After registering, you will be sent a registration pack containing:
- All four available route guides
- Your own Francis House beanie hat, to keep you warm as you wander
- A bag of sweets for sustenance
- An optional dedication sign. Wear this on your walk or use for photographs to tell people why you’re supporting Francis House.
- An activity sheet for children to complete along the way
- Sponsor forms, plus tips and tricks for raising funds
Do I need to raise sponsorship?
The Winter Wander is a fundraising event so we hope that participants will aim to raise as much sponsorship as they can. If you are unable to raise sponsorship at this time, please consider making a donation.
As a special thank you to our Winter Wanderers for their vital support, everyone raising more than £50 in sponsorship will be entered into a prize draw.
How do I raise sponsorship?
You can raise sponsorship online or offline, or you can choose to donate in lieu of sponsorship. Once you have completed your registration, you will be prompted to create a JustGiving page online, where you can easily collect and track sponsorship from friends and family. Alternatively, you can use the paper sponsorship forms provided in your registration pack.
Do I have to walk in memory of somebody?
Not at all – the Winter Wander is open to absolutely anyone. Whilst the Winter Wander provides a good opportunity to reflect and remember, there is no requirement to do so. Whatever your reasons for taking part – whether compensating for an indulgent festive season or kickstarting a New Year’s resolution! – we would love to have your support.
I’m planning to walk with my family – do we all need to register?
Yes, please. When you complete the registration form below, you will be asked to indicate how many people will be walking with you. This allows us to send out the correct number of items within your registration pack. Only registered walkers will receive the beanies, sweets and signs.
Remember you will only need to pay for the adult places, as under 16s can walk for free!
Does it matter how far we walk?
Your Winter Wander can be any distance you choose. Bear in mind though, the more you challenge yourself, the more generously your supporters may sponsor you! We won’t ask you to submit any evidence of your distance covered. However, you can choose to track your walk through Strava and upload to JustGiving, so that friends and family can admire your achievement! For help with this, please contact email@example.com.